Wednesday 3 June 2020

A Walk from Kexby to Stamford Bridge

One of my favourite things to do is to go walking somewhere I've never been before. So when I had the chance to go off and wander along the River Derwent for a few miles I naturally jumped at the opportunity.

7.4 miles linear walk, although a circular walk is do-able but includes roads
Wildlife seen included:
Kingfisher
Buzzard
Yellow Wagtail
Little Egret
Banded Damselfly
Brown Hare 

I set off from Kexby at 06:45 with the sun shining, a gentle northerly breeze blowing and the weather set fair for the day.

Chiff Chaffs and Blackcaps singing accompanied my first steps through the undergrowth to the river. Luckily the nettles weren't tall enough or thick enough to get my legs even though I had shorts on.

CLICK ON A PHOTO FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Well signed footpath
Everywhere was dry and arid due to the lack of rain and long days of sunshine through May. The meadows either side of the river looked green enough as the grass was long and lush, although a closer look showed the underlying dryness. The views along the river were beautiful and backed by blue sky.
A very quiet and lovely River Derwent
There were plenty of birds to see and listen to so the walk was enjoyable from the outset, but the first bit of wildlife that I wanted to photograph was a Yellowhammer that was singing from the top of a dead branch. I see Yellowhammers almost every day back home but I never tire of the male's easy tuneful song and stunning plumage. Except this one wasn't looking all that stunning 😂
Bad hair day Yellowhammer
Not sure why this Yellowhammer looked scruffy - just had a bath maybe?
 As it was early there wasn't too much insect life to enjoy so I kept my eye out for birds, mammals and fish in the river. I was lucky enough to see 2 Kingfishers flying down the river, but they were too quick for me to get anywhere near a photo. I saw another Kingfisher on my way back too.

A pair of Pied Wagtails kept me entertained for a short while as I meandered along the footpath, enjoying the peace and quiet.
A Pied Wagtail collecting food
Swallows and House Martins appeared in the sky as I neared Stamford Bridge and quite a few House Martins were landing on the river bank to gather mud for their nests. Lucky for them they have a river nearby, lots of House Martins will be struggling to find mud as the fields entrances and puddles that are usually nice and muddy are all dry.
House Martins on the river bank
I reached Stamford Bridge without having met anyone, so social distancing wasn't an issue at all. I met three people on my way back, all of whom respected the guidelines 👍
A bridge, but not THE Stamford Bridge
Another nice view along the river
All told I saw 45 species of birds along the route which wasn't bad at all for a morning's outing. Several common species that I would expect to see were absent, so on another day perhaps you could reach 50 or so, but I was more than satisfied.

Kestrels had been seen a few times and I managed to capture one on a branch, distant of course but still a nice record of the morning.
female Kestrel
Lots more interest on the way back as butterflies and damselflies were out and about, the best of which were Banded Demoiselles. The males are smashing creatures with blue-black bodies and translucent wings with a black band across them. The females are lovely too and I managed to photograph one while it was busy eating.
a female Banded Demoiselle eating lunch
The end of the walk was approaching and I was a bit miffed as it seemed all too short. "Always leave them wanting more" seemed a good way of concluding my thoughts on this one.

However, the day wasn't done with me yet and as I approached a field within half a mile of the end I saw a herd of cows watching me.
Gangsters
I am wary of cows at all times as I have been chased by them more than once in the past. These didn't seem at all menacing and they all looked to be young ones, except a large adult. As I walked on the river bank they looked at me. I was OK with that. Then the adult started coming towards me with a firm gait that I wasn't happy about. I stopped, she came on followed by others. With about 20 cows coming towards me I backed off and took off my hat to shoo them away. Some of the young ones stopped but others and the adult didn't so I retreated under the (I thought) safety of a hawthorn bush. They followed, I came out the other side and started waving my hat around like a demented trackside bookie. I managed to get to the lower reaches of the river bank and they seemed content to let me walk off. I was safe and reached the next gate with a sigh of relief.

I love my walks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment