Friday 5 June 2020

Grasshopper Warbler and 'Pecker False Starts

I had a later start than usual this morning as it was hissing down and cold. I go for a walk every morning for enjoyment and if the weather looks like I won't enjoy it then I delay my start or go back to bed 😂

On my walk this morning there was sun, a stiff north westerly breeze, sleet, hail and rain. My hands were very cold even with my gloves on!

I was hoping to get some decent photos of the woodpeckers this morning and when I got to the nest they were busy feeding their young. However, try as I might, I couldn't get a good clear view of the nest hole for long enough. The wind and rain was moving the branches about between me and the hole so I gave up. I did notice though that the birds had a few false starts with the location of the hole, they had gone through the bark and started excavating the hole but gave up for some reason.

 CLICK ON PICTURES FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Great Spotted Woodpecker trial nest holes
Plenty of warblers were still singing including the ubiquitous Cetti's, Reed, Sedge, Blackcap, Chiff Chaff, Whitethroat and Grassshopper Warbler. The latter was quiet as I passed by but then started reeling so I went back for a look. Grasshopper Warblers are usually heard but most of the time you don't get a good view - not this morning though.

It sat on the edge of the reeds giving reasonable views. The dead reed stems got in the way a bit but I think the video is OK. I took a few still photos too but the quality isn't as good as usual as I had my Nikon bridge camera with me rather than the Canon.
Grasshopper Warbler reeling
Still reeling
Over the Mere there were hundreds of hirundines and Swifts that had been lured down from the heights by the rain washing insects down closer to the water and the ground. In the fields the Swifts were flying really close and you could hear the whoosh as they zoomed past.

Close encounters of the speedy kind

Tomorrow's weather is forecast to be wet and windy again but I'll deal with that in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment