Wednesday 17 June 2020

Great Hatfield walk of 6.5 miles

 Miles this year - 997

This misty morning I decided to walk a few of the footpaths I haven't been along yet. Checking the map I saw an opportunity to do those around Great Hatfield that have somehow been missed over the years.

Although the temperature was about 11 degrees it didn't feel that warm as I set off to cover new ground - I always look forward to going somewhere new.

Misty morning among the crop fields
Rain on the ears looked very nice

There were good numbers of Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer along most of the field edges, with a few Whitethroat singing too.
Yellowhammer

My best find was a couple of Yellow Wagtails that flew in over the hedgerow to land on a muck heap.
Yellow Wagtail

Just a few hundred yards further on there were 4 Pied Wagtails, one of which stayed for a while so I could get a photo.
Pied Wagtail
Pied Wag fly by

I thought that the population of rabbits had sufferred badly over the last couple of years but you wouldn't think so walking around Great Hatfield, there were dozens of them 😀
Rabbits had obviously been breeding like....er..

Brown Hares in the fields too, Hatfield was a revelation really and I will return to these paths to see how the wildlife fares over the next few months.
Brown Hare

Along the field edges the scented mayweed and cut-leaved cranesbill was growing in abundance, in some places the mayweed was taller than the crop.
Cut-leaved cranesbill
Scented Mayweed

As I walked out of the fields back into Hatfield village I spotted a Victorian post box! It's another of my things - I always check the post boxes to see if they are a little different.

A Victorian post box 😃


No comments:

Post a Comment