Friday 16 April 2021

A Lark Ascending, Descending and Generally Hanging About

 Off onto the cliffs yesterday morning to check for my first Wheatear of the year. It was chilly in the northerly wind although it was very sunny and bright so good light for togging.

As expected there were plenty of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks about, so while looking for Wheatear and anything else that may turn up, I spent a lot of time trying to get some good images of Skylarks in flight.

This is probably the best I managed

The song of the Skylark always takes me back to where I used to live, and when me and my mate had a den up on the hills. We used to spend hours and days up there, leaving on a Friday evening with bags of food and our sleeping bags and returning Sunday afternoon. The summer days were great with nothing to do but wander about, build new walls for the den, forage for fire wood and just mess about. There always seemed to be Skylarks up and singing.

Meadow Pipits were present yesterday too, in lower numbers than Skylark but I saw about 10 or so.

This one seemed to be climbing through the long grass
While this one was going off the 10 metre diving board
I saw 3 Red-legged Partridge too, which are the first I've had up there for 4 years. I tried to get a pic of them but this blurry thing was the only one in which they are identifiable.
One of three Red-legged Partridge
From the cliff top I could see down to the beach where the tide was going out and there were 13 Sanderling along the tide line. 
 
There is a wonderful mass of Blackthorn on by Hornsea Lakes and at this time of year when they are in flower they look fabulous in the sun.
Blackthorn 
No Wheatear again for me so the wait goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment