Saturday 24 April 2021

Great Crested Newt in our Pond

We built a small pond in our garden a few years ago, helped by two very able (and young!) friends. 

We hoped for frogs and damselflies and perhaps a dragonfly if we were very lucky. 

Last year we saw a smooth newt and we were overjoyed, this year we have at least 4 smooth newts and they have been very active over the last few days, hopefully laying eggs.

I've taken quite a few videos of the smooth newts as I find them fascinating and I check on them very often. As I was looking for them today what did I see instead?

Great Crested Newt

Great Crested Newt

We are really excited to see this wonderful creature in our pond, and of course we are now thinking "what if they breed here?"

Nature is so unpredictable so you never know! 🤞🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment