Thursday 8 April 2021

Arc Of A Diver

Arc Of A Diver is a great album by Steve Winwood from 1980. The title track was playing in my head as I watched a new bird for my Hornsea Mere list, Red-throated Diver, swimming through the waves generated by the strong north westerly wind. Damn cold too.

...and yes, I know that our Divers are now called Loons but I don't remember a song with Loon in the title 😂

Red-throated Diver added to my Mere list
The Hooded Merganser of unknown origin is still at the Mere, hugging the northern edge usually, although it does fly to and fro every now and then. I will attempt to get better images but it needs to come a little closer first.
Hooded Merganser
 We have spent quite a few hours looking at photos of this bird from several people, trying to ascertain whether or not it has a leg ring. For my money the bird is not ringed but that opinion isn't shared by everyone.

 The cliff tops have been my first port of call each morning, looking for my first Wheatear of the spring. There are loads of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits along there but nothing else yet.

Meadow Pipit
I also check the small pond for other birds and this pair of Oystercatcher were making whoopee, as is their nature at this time of year.
Pair of Oystercatchers
 Down at beach level the wind was whipping the top off the waves generating spindrift, one of my favourite sights at any time of year.

Spindrift
Once I'd checked the cliff tops I walked down to the beach for a wander and to see if any Sanderling were still about. They were, just two of them, but they're great little birds with 3-toed feet that allow them to run at a fast pace along the sand.

Sanderling on Hornsea beach
Otters are being seen more frequently at the Mere and this one spent some time diving about 100 yards off Kirkholme Point. Gulls were mobbing it so it didn't spend much time on the surface which made getting photos of it very tricky.
John Otterway...
...and Wild Willy Barrett  :)
We are lucky enough to have breeding Mute Swans at the Mere and they are starting to nest now. Please don't approach any nests that may be accessible as this will disturb the birds at a very sensitive time - they may also bruise more than your ego if they decide to shoo you off 🤣
Nesting Mute Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment