Monday 9 May 2022

A Sunday Walk Round Ulrome

 I've been thinking of getting up to Ulrome for a while now, primarily to see the Sanderlings getting their summer plumage before they head off north east to their breeding grounds. I therefore went up yesterday morning for a good old wander.

I checked the tide times to ensure the tide was on its way in, so that any birds would be easier to see from the land. Well, I think I left it too late in the year as I didn't see a single bird on the shore! A Black-headed Gull over the beach was the only bird visible anywhere near the sea.

However, that didn't spoil the morning at all as there were lots of other birds to see.

Species seen - 36
Highlights - Dunlin and Ringed Plover
6 miles walked
Weather - dry and sunny with a NE breeze

All the way along to the beach I heard and saw lots of birds, as well as 9 Brown Hares, 3 Roe Deer and several Rabbits. 

Birds in the trees and hedgerows included Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Linnet, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Tree Sparrow.

male Yellowhammer
Whitethroat
Whitethroat
female Reed Bunting with nest material

Linnets and Whitethroats were the most numerous of the birds seen, and this Linnet in particular didn't look too pleased to see me 🤣

A disgruntled Linnet

Down at the beach Sand Martins were at their nest sites, and some were already excavating their tunnels. Several came over near where I was standing and almost landed on the track.

nesting Sand Martin
Sand Martins in flight

As well as Sanderling I was hoping for Grey Wagtail, but none showed up so I had to make do with a Yellow Wagtail instead.

female Yellow Wagtail

Looking south along the coast from the beach I could just make out The Marine pub at Hornsea and Mappleton church further south. It was a bit hazy so I had to increase the contrast on this pic to make it distinguishable.

Looking south towards Hornsea and Mappleton
The crop fields held several Skylarks and a Meadow Pipit was also encountered on the cliff.
singing Skylark
Meadow Pipit
On my way back I checked the large puddle left over from the winter rains and topped up by the recent rain. I saw a couple of Stock Doves and a Pied Wagtail and also the birds of the day - 2 Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.
2 Ringed Plovers with a Dunlin
RP and Dunlin
Dunlin

As I neared where I'd left the car, another Blackcap was singing, and this one was almost out in the open so I got a few pics as it sang from a tree top.

singing Blackcap

I detoured off the road and went down a footpath past a pond, where I added Moorhen and Canada Goose to the bird species list for the morning. 36 wasn't a bad tally really, even though I'd hoped for a couple more.

Last year's Reedmace at a local pond

No comments:

Post a Comment