Sunday 29 May 2022

Treecreepers Fledged

 I'm glad to say that the Treecreeper nest I found after the original TC nest was predated have successfully feldged. Well, hopefully anyway.

I saw them yesterday morning and the chicks were showing well at the nest hole entrance, even when the adult birds weren't bringing food in. At least 2 chicks seen at any one time.

Today the nest is empty with no hunger calls and no sight of the adult birds either. I scanned the adjacent trees hoping to see young birds but no luck, although I will try again tomorrow.

Hungry chick being fed

Treecreeper chick being fed
Treecreeper chick
Treecreeper chick and adult (video still)
Treecreeper chick and both adults (video still)
Treecreeper chick and both adults (video still)
This video shows a chick calling for food, and you can hear the adults responding.

The Lapwings continue to protect their young ones with up to 6 adult birds seen, but only a single chick seen. Hopefully there are more but the field has large patches of weeds and foliage where they can scamper to hide. The adult birds try to lure possible predators away from the chicks by feigning injury.

Adult Lapwings using diversionary tactics

Away from the excitement of new life at the Mere, damselflies have been springing up all over.

Most of the damselflies are Common Blue Damselflies but we have several Blue Tailed and a few Azure as well.

Blue-tailed Damselfly female - form rufescens
Blue-tailed Damselfly female - form violacea
blue-tailed damselfly immature male

I am grateful to Mark Radford for pointing out the variations in the females, and for finding them in the first place!

On the walking front I continue to put in as many miles as I can each morning and today I passed my first milestone for the year - 1,000 miles (or 2 Proclaimers). I am hoping to total 2,500 miles for the year which will be the first time I've managed that, but as I only did 2,200 last year it could be a target too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment