Thursday 9 June 2022

Away Day To t'River 'Ull

 That there lockdown thing stopped many things. Primarily me getting out to different interesting places, and when I realised it's been over 2 years since I enjoyed a good walk down the Leven Canal - well, it had to remedied.

The day was 10 degrees, dry and overcast and cool with a bit of a northerly breeze when I set off early doors, so I didn't expect to see any butterflies or dragonflies, and I wasn't at all disappointed when none turned up.

8 miles walked

Bird species seen and or heard - 43
Little Grebe       Cormorant(2)         Mute Swan(4)     Mallard(30+)
Grey Heron(6)    Little Egret (12+)      Greylag Goose      Kestrel(1)
Red Kite(1)         Pheasant                 Moorhen(5)            Coot(1)
Oystercatcher    Lapwing(2)               Black-headed Gull(7)
Wood Pigeon     Barn Owl(3)        Swift(c.10)      G S Woodpecker(1)
Skylark                Pied Wagtail(2)      Wren                       Dunnock
Robin               Blackbird             Song Thrush         Cetti's Warbler(5)
Sedge Warbler   Reed Warbler         Blackcap                 Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat(2)    ChiffChaff    Willow Warbler       Great Tit
Magpie              Jackdaw                   Carrion Crow          Starling
House Sparrow   Yellowhammer        Reed Bunting        Chaffinch

First sight of the canal after setting off
I was expecting to see and hear lots of Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers and Whitethroat and these birds indeed were the main backdrop to the morning, with Yellowhammer and Skylark also prominently singing along the way. Lesser Whitethroat was a good addition to my monthly list as I hadn't heard one at The Mere in June until now.

I counted 5 Cetti's Warblers on my way to the river and 4 on the way back. This is a marked increase on the one that I recorded on my last walk along the canal two years ago. Good habitat along the canal so hopefully numbers will continue upwards as breeding birds disperse further along its length.

Roe deer
1 of 6 Grey Herons
Roebuck
1 of at least 12 Little Egrets
Moorhen managing to perch on a fence post
Barn Owl
Leven Canal
Common Carpet
Yellow Flag Iris and Red Campion
Swift
Pied Wagtail with food
Panoramic view of the River Hull and the canal

A few of a Cattle Egret I also happened upon

No comments:

Post a Comment