Friday 17 June 2022

Warmest Day of The Year - 30 degrees!

 Today was a hot one - it got to 30 degrees as I walked along the Mere towards Wassand this afternoon. It was cooler this morning so I'm glad I wasn't going far in the afternoon sun.

Earlier in the week it transpired that we have 8 Lapwing chicks! At least 2 broods of differing ages. The gangs from the two fields have combined now and up to 6 adult birds are patrolling the area so could be 3 broods.

1 of 8 Lapwing chicks on the south side

More Lapwings

On Tuesday I was surprised by a Grey Heron taking off as I approached the water's edge - they don't often come down on the shoreline during office hours 😉

Grey Heron lifting off

There are more and more young birds to be seen around the Mere and it was great to watch a small family group of Wrens feeding under the willows.

Adult and juv Wren
Juvenile Wren

There are several leverets about too, I saw 4 on Thursday morning, with 3 adult Brown Hares but too distant to get a photo of them together.

Adult Brown Hare

The fields are gathering interest as summer wears on with moths and butterflies adding to the wildlife on show. Tiny black Chimney Sweeper moths are abundant now.

Chimney Sweeper moth

I also disturbed what I think is a Yellow Shell moth in second field.

Yellow Shell moth

The larger dragonflies are emerging now and it was pleasing to see a newly emerged Migrant Hawker on the south side.

Migrant Hawker

Coming up to date with a couple of images from this morning, this Sedge Warbler came so close I couldn't focus on it at times. Brilliant views of this lovely bird.

Sedge Warbler in Heslop's

No comments:

Post a Comment