Sunday 5 June 2022

On A (Lap)wing and a Prayer

 Good news - one of the Lapwing chicks is still with us. There may be others but I managed to see one this morning. I got a photo from a fair distance as it was heading towards the field edge, without the adults needing to go into their distraction routine.

Lapwing chick

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it (and others?) manages to go the distance and fledge before any harm befalls it.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that a Roe Deer I saw this morning behind our house is OK. It has a very large lump on its throat/breast area that must be causing some discomfort.

Roe Deer with a large lump on its chest

Despite the recent poor weather and chilly north easterly winds, the wildlife carries on - apart from dragonflies and butterflies that is, who find it too cold to bother getting on the wing.

Sedge Warbler
Brown Hare
Common Dogwood (lacking a butterfly)

The cool temperatures have meant that I haven't been doing the number of miles I usually do. I walk because I enjoy it not because I feel I have to, so if I am not getting pleasure from walking I go home. Only 5 miles covered this morning, which for a June day is really poor, but I just didn't see that much to grab my attention despite sitting in a field margin for ages hoping something would come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment