Monday 6 February 2023

Grey Seal Pup On The Beach

 As I walked on the beach this morning I heard a sound that I did not recognise. I turned round to look where it had come from and wasn't expecting to see a seal pup nestled in the rocks.


I was only yards from it and I know that advice says to stay at least 50 yards from such creatures - too late!

I backed off but it was so close to the beach entrance that it was at risk of being seen and hassled by people and dogs.

Well camouflaged but close to the road and entrance
 I checked it over through the bins to make sure it wasn't ill or damaged in any way and it looked OK, so I decided to hang around until it decided it wanted to go back into the sea. 

That part of the beach is busy with people and their dogs in the mornings so I just wanted to make sure no one decided to "help" it back to the sea - people have done this in the past rather than letting the animal rest and go off in its own time. 

It moved around and made itself comfortable, catching some rays in the process 😀

It was difficult to make out its nostrils for positive id (Common Seals have a V shape to their nostrils and Grey Seals have almost parallel nostrils that don't meet) but the shape of the head looked more Grey than Common. Too young to have the Roman nose of an adult Grey Seal but given time it'll get there.

For the most part everyone was cooperative and stayed a good distance away and it eventually decided it was time to move.

It eventually swam off after a good rest and was none the worse for its brief encounter with mankind. I wish all such encounters ended as peacefully as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment