Thursday 23 February 2023

Let's Keep Sprawking

 Warning - this blog post contains images some people may find distressing.

 

Am I taking a liberty too far with this gruesome pun on a Pink Floyd track? If so I offer no apologies whatsoever 😀

Earlier in the week I spent the morning at Aldbrough with Ade doing a recce for my new BBS square. While I was sitting in my car a Sparrowhawk landed on a fence nearby. I daren't open the window for fear of spooking it so I took these through the glass.

Sparrowhawk at Aldbrough

Then this morning I was walking through first field and I spotted a Sprawk in the cut reedbed. 

Sprawk in first field reedbed

I was expecting it to have prey in its talons given it was on the ground, but as I got closer I saw it was perched on a cut branch and didn't have any prey. It was just having a quiet moment so I left it alone.

Other photos from the last few days have included...

Little Egret in Stream Dike

Three of c.40 Siskin in Wassand Wood
Siskin without its mates
Another Sis without its kin

A sad sight yesterday morning was a dead fox in second field. It looked as though it had died recently as its eyes were still intact. I couldn't see any obvious marks on it but a friend told me she had seen a bloke with 3 dogs down there the previous evening and the dogs were going mad at something. Could have been the fox.

 I'll sign off on a positive note - there were 112 Linnet in the set aside flock yesterday morning and about the same number this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment