Friday 3 February 2023

Ticking Away The Moments That Make Up A Dull Day

 Well it was a dull day weather wise, but not on the wildlife front.

Goldcrests, Lapwings, a Sprawk, Marsh Harriers and loads of Linnets this morning; then a Harbour Porpoise and 19 Greenfinch this afternoon. A very good day indeed 👍👍👍

It's strange how light can play tricks - take these Goldcrest photos for example. A couple of them make the crest look more like a Firecrest's than a Goldcrest's.

More orange than yellow?! Still a Goldcrest
Another with orange not yellow
Realistic colours on this one

As I had the camera's ISO set to Auto, the photos with orange crests were taken at ISO 800 but the "proper" crests were at ISO 6400. Big difference but as it was dull today I left the ISO to sort itself out.

Through the set aside I saw at least 172 Linnet. I had a photo that I counted 172 on but I haven't done this one yet 🤣

The Linnet flock
Also over the set aside - about 50 Lapwing

...and 2 Marsh Harriers but they were too distant for pics. I checked the Linnet flock because they usually have other birds in with them - but not today, they were all Linnets.

A single Reed Bunting was in the set a side hedgerow.

I didn't see much on the water today but a couple of Goldeneye provided a nice sight.

Drake Goldeneye taking off
Female Goldeneye also taking off

All told then it was a really good morning, with the prospect of a decent afternoon to follow as my (much) better half was busy so I was able to wander off for a second time.

 Along the sea front I saw a shape appearing and disappearing. I've tried to get photos of single cetaceans before and I didn't waste my time this time, I went straight to video and manged to get a snippet of a Harbour Porpoise.

Here's a couple of stills from the video.

Harbour Porpoise off Hornsea

On my way home I bumped into Mike who was doing the same thing as me - looking for a flock of Greenfinch. We found about 19 gathering to roost (we think) at the end of Stream Dyke.

Greenfinch  


No comments:

Post a Comment