Thursday 23 November 2023

Hornsea South Cliffs

 I saw a Short-eared Owl again on South Cliffs this morning. I could be the same one I saw last weekend or it could be a different bird. It was in the long grass and it flushed when I was only 10 yards or so away. It flew with the strong wind and landed some distance away and I managed a few photos before I decided to leave it alone. I don't like to disturb birds if at all possible and as there is little or no cover there, any movement from me in its direction would have flushed it again. No sense in harrassing it and causing it stress.

Short-eared Owl on South Cliffs this morning
Just along from the owl were the pair of long-staying Stonechats. Rather than take the usual shots of these birds I tried to get one in flight. The result is 50/50 😂

Stonechat taking off
The view up to the north was quite something with the blustery wind blowing the dark rain clouds and the just risen sun lighting up Bridlington in the distance with a partial rainbow.
Brid at the end of a rainbow
I have to say I have been avoiding the Mere south side footpath as it has been too wet for my boots, and I don't like walking too far in my wellies as they are uncomfortable and heavy. However I did get along the north side and although the birding isn't as good, it was nice to see a different footpath beneath my feet.
Great Spotted Woodpecker along the North Side

In one or two sheltered spots of woodland there are still summer flowers to be seen, like this Red Campion.

Red Campion brightening up the day

No comments:

Post a Comment