Saturday 18 November 2023

Maybe I'm A SEO

 Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album released in 1972 and the track "Maybe I'm A Leo" is the inspiration for this post. Having found a Short-eared Owl this morning I was humming the song to myself walking home, with Leo replaced with SEO of course 😂

The morning was grey and wet and the weather is reflected in the poor quality of the photos.

Short-eared Owl over South Cliffs

SEO disappearing towards Rolston
I checked the cliffs and fields again this afternoon from my bedroom window and saw the owl again, more distantly of course.

SEO with a crow for company

While looking down from the cliffs this morning I saw a Red-throated DIver quite close in so I fired off a few frames.

Red-throated Diver off south cliffs

A few days ago I had a close up view of a stoat finishing off a rabbit kill and then starting to eat it while still out in the open. I expected the stoat to drag the rabbit into cover before commencing its meal, but although it tried a couple of times to move it, the thing was perhaps too heavy and stuck in the mud. The stoat had a good bit of mud in its coat too, reflecting the struggle it had to subdue the rabbit.

Stoat and its prey - a rabbit

I've always had some difficulty finding Treecreepers in November for some reason. I came across one yesterday over in Wassand in the mature trees by East Lodge.

Treecreeper caught in mid hop

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos Jeff - just found your blog, thanks to Nick !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, it's good to hear from you and I hope you're well. I still look at Calderdale Birds every now and then but not as often as I should. I saw that you had a Great Noerthern Diver over there recently, which is one more than I've seen this year 😂

      Delete