Saturday 21 March 2020

A Walk through a favourite valley

March to date - 124 miles
Year to date - 449 miles

Yesterday I had a walk down one of favourite valleys in North Yorkshire. I was supposed to be at the annual Scarborough Blues Festival for the weekend but as that was cancelled I went off for the day instead.

There was plenty to see and hear along the way and Marsh Tit were always present giving their characteristic call.

I saw 2 of them firstly at the feeding station but I have to say I was more interested in getting pics of the brown rat than the birds.
Brown rat under the feeders
It's difficult getting good photos of birds at the feeding station as I try to get natural shots rather than have man-made objects in the frame. So I walked down the hill into the valley bottom and followed the river downstream.

Nuthatch and Marsh Tit were the first birds I came across, noisy and busy in equal measure.
Nuthatch are always great to see and hear
Marsh Tits were everywhere it seemed, but just 5 or 6 birds
My hoped-for bird flew downstream calling and soon came back and landed close by. Grey Wagtails are very distinctive and such beautiful birds.
Grey Wagtail resplendent in breeding plumage
All along the river banks the plants are growing fast, with Marsh Marigold standing out.
Marsh Marigold with its roots in water as it prefers
Wood Anemone carpeted the wood floor under the trees
Several Robins were fltting in and out of the trees and when one landed on a moss covered fallen tree it looked worth a photo.
Robin
Pheasants are now one our most abundant birds accoring to the latest BTO estimates. I see them all over and quite a few were picking through the leaves and grasses.
Ubiquitous Pheasant
As I walked back to the car the Marsh Tit reappeared, calling and flying through the lower branches.
Marsh Tit, a last look before I left

No comments:

Post a Comment