Tuesday 3 March 2020

Marsh Harriers and more

March to date - 17.5 miles
Year to date - 341.5 miles

It was a beautiful morning - frosty, cold and sunny, just perfect for my morning wander around the not-so-hot-birding-spots of Hornsea 😀

I visited KP first as it was open at 07:40 when I got there. I had been fully prepared to turn around after finding it still locked but no - in I went.

A single Long-tailed Duck was off the jetties (which are still mostly submerged) but it was a fair way off and backlit by the sun so no chance of pics today.

The pair of Oystercatchers were in position with the geese and ducks on the north side shoreline. They took off towards Swan Island even though I was watching them from a fair distance away so somethng must have spooked them.

A large flock of Pochard took off from the water as a boat set off so I took a photo and counted them when I looked at the pic on my PC - 223 Pochard with a few tufties mixed in.
A few of the 223 Pochard

Two Grey Herons flew into the south side reed beds and the usual Goldeneye, Coot, Mute Swans, Mallards and Tufted Duck were mooching about. Time we had something a bit different please.

Off to the hide at Decoy, through the still very soggy fields. The strong winds we've had recently have helped to dry out the land in places but the water is still winning.

A pair of Yellowhammers were in the hedgerow and dropping into the field margin to feed. I heard the male singing on my way back.
male Yellowhammer
The large Linnet flock has gone now (along with the Barnacle Geese that haven't been seen for a few weeks) and I only saw 5 this morning. A pair of Reed Buntings were flying into the hedgerows but no singing from the male yet around Snipe Grounds.

Cetti's Warblers are getting into good voice and I heard 5 yesterday when I walked round the Mere, but only heard 3 today on the south side.

Into the wood again and Great Spotted Woodpeckers dominated the soundscape with their drumming and calling. A single Green Woodpecker was yaffling in the distance. Song Thrush had a good attempt at drowning out the 'peckers - close but no contest really.

Song Thrush hiding behind a branch
At the hide I saw two cream crown Marsh Harriers before I got onto the viewing platform so I got the camera going and got plenty of decent images.
I saw two further Marsh Harriers when I got onto the platform - one was an adult male and the other was another cream crown perched in the reeds on the north side.
There was no obvious attempt to display between the birds yet - too early perhaps or maybe I just caught them between displays.

The remainder of my walk was very enjoyable but nothing exceptional popped out. A Kestrel was seen briefly but it disappeared before I could get better photos.
Great Tit
Wren
Kestrel - a bit out of focus but identifiable at least

No comments:

Post a Comment