Friday 13 March 2020

A Wander Around My Local Patch - and a Rock Pipit sighting

I've been away walking elsewhere so it was good to be back to my local patch this morning. A few new wild flowers recently have made themselves known meaning Spring is deffo on its way.

As well as a couple of singing Yellowhammers it was great to see the local Barn Owl out and about as I went through Rolston:
Rolston Barn Owl
I usually check what's around at KP if I have time and I had time this morning, and the pair of Oystercatchers didn't disappoint - although they tried to hide they were seen on Swan Island:
Oystercatchers on Swan Island




Although they are very common it's easy to overlook just how attractive male Mallards are at this time of year:
Male Mallard in fine fettle
As I walked around to the south side a small patch of Green Alkanet caught my eye - it doesn't look all that healthy but at least it's flowering. Also a small Speedwell was catching the sunlight:
Green Alkanet along Hull Road
Speedwell
Walking on through the drying fields (thank goodness!) one or two of the arable fields have managed to be ploughed, but on the edge of one that is still drying out I spotted a Small Tortoiseshell - the first of the year for me:
Small Tortoiseshell butterfly
Along the edge of Wassand Wood there are lots of Sweet Violets flowering, small but perfect:
Sweet Violet
From the hide there were 4 Marsh Harriers up and soaring in the sun, including a single adult male., but it was over the other side of the Mere so too far for a decent pic.
Female Marsh Harrier
As I walked back home through first field I saw a pipit on the shoreline so I went to have a closer look expecting Meadow Pipit as that is what we usually get. It was greyish with no obvious Meadow Pipit features as its breast and underparts were indistinctly streaked. I also noticed that its legs were pinkish so I was undecided between Rock Pipit and Meadow Pipit. I took photos of course as it was showing well, but when the bird flew further along the shore to where I couldn't see it, I left it alone and went home.

Reviewing the photos later a couple of friends said they were happy with Rock Pipit despite the leg colour. They are better birders than me so I was content with their conclusions.
Rock Pipit - first field shoreline
Rock Pipit showing hind claw




No comments:

Post a Comment