Wednesday 25 March 2020

Lock-down Exercise Yard

March to date - 147 miles
Year to date -  472 miles

Well it's a good job I can still get out for my daily walk in the CV lock-down, otherwise I'd be going crazy stuck at home.

I'm out earlier these days as it's light before 6am. This morning I saw no one on foot until I saw a friend about half an hour into my walk. We chatted for a few minutes and kept about 20 yards from each other and I met no one else until I was nearly home. Most people are keeping to the guidelines about exercise and social distancing, but I have seen a few exceptions!!

All wildlife and bird reserves have been closed so there is little alternative but to walk my local patch, which I am more than happy to as I do this 90% of the time anyway.

There was no frost this morning and I didn't need my wooly hat either as I set out in the cool morning sun.

The blackthorn is coming into blossom now and it's looking lovely. The blossom appears before the leaves on the blackthorn, so if you want to gather sloes later in the year look out for the bushes now and remember their location.
Blackthorn blossom
 The wonderful sound of singing Skylarks and Yellowhammers accompanies me every morning on my walks, interspersed with Reed Buntings and Chiffchaffs singing. Early spring is a great time and I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Yellowhammer
Skylark
I saw my second brown hare of the year and several roe deer. The mammal sightings were limited to those along with rabbit and grey squirrel - if you don't count the first spring lambs of course :)
Roe deer in Wassand
The first spring lambs are out in the fields now
Dunnocks have been singing for a few weeks and they haven't given up yet...
Reasonable photo of a singing Dunnock but can't see the eye
That's better, but now you can't see in the mouth!
Another first too in the form of primroses in the wood, now I really know it's spring.
The first primroses are showing
Back home then, before too many are out and about so I don't have to cross the road to pass them or hold my breath as I walk by.

No comments:

Post a Comment