Thursday 26 March 2020

Hornsea South Cliffs and Golden plovers

A fantastic morning, frosty and sunny and devoid of people so pleasant and safe at the same time.

I was out wandering the cliffs hoping for a Wheatear or two, or maybe a Stonechat. Didn't get either but there were plenty of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks up and singing and some Golden Plover too 😀

The Rooks in their tree top Rookery were making a great racket as I walked past on my way to the cliff tops. They are brilliant birds and so characterful.

Skylarks were singing and pairing up and one was seemingly basking in the sun as it wasn't moving at all. Its feet were in frost but it looked comfortable.
Frosty Skylark
On my back from my (allowed) exercise walk this same bench was being used by a Mipit and a Skylark - but in line with guidelines they were practicing social distancing 👍
Mipit and Skylark nearly 2 yards apart
The highlight of my very enjoyable cliff walk this morning was the sight of 12 Golden Plover in a ploughed field. I've seen them here in the past but this morning they were reasonably close so I had good views through my bins.
12 Golden Plover

Mipits and Skylark were the dominant songsters of the morning, although Dunnock came close. The Mipit's parachute flight song and the Skylark really remind me of where I grew up near the moors of the South Pennines.
All in all a brilliant morning, apart from the awful overall situation of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment