Wednesday 24 May 2023

Close Encounters of The Hairy and Hare(y) Kind

 A sunny day again today, and although the wind started of as a north westerly it ended up north easterly once again - so cool later on.

Having the warm sun out early in the morning encouraged hundreds of damselflies to take to the air in a blizzard of wings as I walked through the long grass. A wonderful sight!

Hairy dragonflies showed well in the wood and I got one that had just caught its prey and was eating it alongside the footpath. Could have been a Soldier Beetle but it's hard to say.

Hairy Dragonfly with prey
Yum yum

We had just been discussing how much harder it is to see Brown Hares these days now that the crops have grown so tall, when just a minute later one came running along towards me. It stopped about 5 yards away, realised that I wasn't a tree and ran off. I had to reduce the zoom on the camera to fit it into the frame.

First photo at 600mm focal length
Stop for a rest - 600mm still
Carried on coming - last one at 600mm
Still approaching - down to 320mm focal length
Closest it got - at 320mm

Just brilliant to see one so close again, I had a similar experience on here last year but it was a leveret and it didn'tm quite get as close as this one.

Yesterday morning took me to Ulrome for a walk around, looking to see Grey Partridge and Corn Bunting. I saw both but no pics of the Grey Partridge as it was very distant.

Corn Bunting
Corn Bunting
Corn Bunting, and below is a video of singing Corn Bunting

Yesterday afternoon I walked on Southorpe Road once more on my way to Wassand when a Whitethroat popped up on top of the hedge and started singing. Yes, I know I've posted lots of Whitethroat pics here already this year, but these are probably the best yet.

Whitethroat on Southorpe
As above
Ditto above, and below is singing Whitethroat

Brimstones have been scarce this year (as have most butterflies apart from Orange Tip) so it was good to see one yesterday.

Brimstone basking

No comments:

Post a Comment