Saturday 13 May 2023

One Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Thurday 11 May 2023 - warm and sunny

A lovely morning for a walk around Rolston, South Cliffs and Stream Dike. I know that most people spell "dike" as "dyke" but the OS map spells it with an "i" not a "y" so that's the way I'm going.

Lots to see and hear with insects, birds and wild flowers in abundance.

Meadow Pipit parachuting to earth
Meadow Pipit

Yellowhammer looking like it wants a nap

I saw in the news that the latest section of The King Charles III England Coastal Path has opened between Filey and Bridlington. The stretch between Hornsea and Spurn is going to be very challenging with erosion cracking on at such a rate. They are planning to use a roll-back plan so when a section disappears into the North Sea the path will still be open without needing to resort to scuba gear 😀

More of England disappears

The sea was very calm and flat as I approached the south promenade, making the groynes and buoys look strangely disembodied.

The 2 gulls to the right look to be floating in space

Stream Dike is getting choked with vegetation again so the council guys will be dredging it to keep it clear. Meanwhile the Sedge Warblers and Whitethroats don't care.

Sedge Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Whitethroat

I saw 3 Orange Tips along the stretch I walked which is a good number within a few yards these days.

Orange Tip (male)

Back at home the Smooth Newts in the pond look to be doing well with 3 females and a male in residence. They, together with the male Great Crested Newt that I've seen, have made short work of the tadpoles!

Smooth Newt in our pond

Friday 12 May 2023 - cold, breezy and overcast

I set off with good intentions in my shorts and warmish weather gear but I soon felt the chill that the northerly wind brought with it. I did a few miles before I gave up and ran for home - well, I say ran, what I mean is I walked as quickly as I could 😉😀

Saturday 13 May 2023 - cold, breezy and overcast as per yesterday

Having learned my lesson from yesterday I set off today with warm trousers, jumper, proper coat and gloves and hat!! I was comfortable and very glad I dressed for the weather.

Very quiet on the bird song front, as it was yesterday. Chiff Chaff numbers down on a usual day, but whether that was due to the grim weather or the passage of time meaning territories and mates have been claimed I don't know.

When I got to the Woodland Walk down to the hide I was a bit dismayed as I saw the grass had been cut.

Neat grass along the Woodland Walk

For a wildlife society to cut grass this way is a little alarming, keep the path clear by all means but leave as much grass as possible long for invertebrates would be the way to go for my money. I thought the Bugle and Crosswort had been destroyed but no! It is still there, so thanks for doing that Wassand team 👍

Bugle and Crosswort along the path under the pines
Crosswort (Cruciata laevipes)

Further up on the track to Weatherhill the large stand of Comfrey is coming into flower now and the bees and other pollinators will be flocking to them once they are fully out.

Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)

There were at least 400 Swifts over the Mere and fields as I walked through, joining the Swallows and Sand Martins. House Martins are worryingly scarce up to now.

Swifts over the fields

As I walked along, a couple of Little Egrets flew over going East. They are also not seen as often as they should be. Probably due to high water levels on the Mere.

Little Egrets
The weather is forecast to be warmer tomorrow. We'll see 🤔

No comments:

Post a Comment