Monday 8 May 2023

May Catch Up

 It's been a while since I posted anything here so let's see if there's anything worth looking at in my pics folders. Starting with today:

I have a new BBS square down in Aldbrough and went yesterday to do the early visit - that didn't go well given I could hardly see my hand in front of my face due to the fog, so I abandoned it half way though and went down today instead.

Plenty of warblers plus a pair of Sparrowhawks and a Kestrel. The Sparrowhawks were hunting along the cliffs and zoomed by so quickly I was lucky to id them never mind 'tog them.

Blurry Lesser Whitethroat
One of a pair of Lapwings
Swallow gathering mud for its nest
Sand Martins preening
Sand Martin with nest material

Early morning view of the turbines at Westermost Rough
One of several Whitethroats singing and displaying

It's a good square to walk through and I look forward to many more visits over the years to come.

Yesterday started really badly with dense fog and consequent cr@p visibility, so I came home and walked to the Mere in the hope that it would clear eventually. It did around mid-morning - good enough to get a fleeting glimpse of the Spoonbill as it circled over Decoy.

A little old Spoonful over Decoy

An otter showed itself for a few seconds before disappearing behind the reeds...

A brief Otter

Apart from those two sightings there was little else to shout about, but a nice patch of Bugle was good to see in the wood...

Bugle (Ajuga reptans)
Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) feeding on Bugle

A pair of Kestrels continue to hang around the Mere and hopefully they'll find somewhere to nest.

female Kestrel on Star Wars day

A wander along north cliffs yielded not much but Meadow Pipits in the rape seed looked beautiful...

Mipit in rape seed crop field

Oh I forgot - ages ago on 3 May I walked up to the flooded field near Great Hatfield (called Ibbotson's Flash by the cognoscenti and why not 😉) to see what was about and the answer was a fair amount, but first I wandered along the south side of the Mere and Southorpe...

Cetti's Warbler in Heslop's
Pochard and Great Crested Grebe
Great Crested Grebe showing its great crest
White Wagtail at IF
Yellow Wagtail at IF
The same Yellow Wagtail
Little Ringed Plover at IF
Wolf Spider
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
Song Thrush near Weatherhill
Swallows at Southorpe
Plenty of flora and fauna to see at the moment so get out there and fill your boots! Butterflies have been few and far between but now the weather's warming up there should be a few more to see 🤞

No comments:

Post a Comment