Sunday 19 April 2020

A Glut Of Yellowhammers

What is the collective noun for a number of Yellowhammers?
An ingot perhaps? Or maybe a dazzle?

Sightings on today's Mere walk included:
Treecreeper
Yellowhammer (5) all males
Linnet (4)
Marsh Harrier (3)
Kestrel
Sedge Warbler
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Blackcap
Cetti's Warbler
Song Thrush (4)
Jay

Another bright, sunny day but with a chilly north easterly breeze blowing that made sure I wasn't able to don my shorts. Time is getting on, but so am I :)

Yellowhammers were all over this morning I'm glad to say, filling the air with their cheesy song. One was even singing from the ground which I don't remember seeing before.

 CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Yellowhammer
Yellowhammer with seed
Y. singing on the ground
Yellowhammer singing in its rightful position
Treecreeper is always a nice bird to see and strangely this one was the first I've seen this month, although chances have been reduced since we can't walk through the wood due to the lockdown.
Treecreeper
Not the best photo of Treecreeper but it shows their agility
Another day, another set of Marsh Harrier pics...
female Marsh Harrier
OK I'll stop at just two today.

I came across a deceased shrew. Not many things eat shrews as they leave a nasty taste in the mouth - or so I'm told 😂
A late shrew
Some wag had been making patterns in the sky for we grounded mortals to admire -
A fine caption competition for a Rush album...

No comments:

Post a Comment