Wednesday 1 April 2020

Daily Exercise - local patch again

A new month, same old carry on with the COVID-19 lockdown in place. One good thing is I only have to go shopping once a week now, so every cloud.....

My monthly bird list resets today and I managed a species list on my walk of 40, including a pair of Red-crested Pochard and the long staying Long-tailed Ducks. A single Redwing was the only other notable species.

Walking down through Edenfield I noticed the planted bluebells are flowering, long before the wild ones in the surrounding woods.

It's been a while since I ventured to the sea front so I think that will be my route tomorrow morning, and I can check if the Turnstones and Sanderlings are still present or not.

Red-crested Pochards
Red-crested Pochards
Red-crested Pochards
Red-crested Pochards and Goldeneye pairs
The two juvenile over-wintering Long-tailed Ducks were still present on The Mere, one arrived in November and the other flew in during December last year and have been here every day since, so it's time they were moving north to join their brethren.

Their plumage has been developing through the dark months and it is much different to when they arrived. I intend to put together a video of this development but it takes some doing as the photos were taken on different cameras, at different distances and in very variable light conditions. I'll get it done though.

These photos were taken at a fair old distance this morning and were heavily cropped so the quality is naff but they'll do as record shots.
Long-tailed Ducks
Long-tailed Ducks
Long-tailed Ducks
Long-tailed Ducks
Long-tailed Ducks
Long-tailed Ducks

No comments:

Post a Comment