Saturday 4 April 2020

Locked Down, Locked In or Locked Up

Another beautiful morning here on the East Coast of God's own county. Out early again and it was well worth it with Wheatear, Whooper Swans, Pink-footed Geese and everything singing at once.

First thing I saw (apart from the usual of course) was a stunning Wheatear flying off a fence post onto the ground and hopping onto a molehill. It didn't stay long and decided the grassy slopes were more to its liking.
Wheatear, my first of the year
Wheatear showing why its name is derived from white arse
Off along the path to see what other delights await, past the singing Skylarks, Reed Buntings, Cetti's Warblers and the constant background noise of wood pigeons, crows, blackbirds, magpies and distant rooks.

A skein of about 80 Pink-footed Geese flew north over the Mere and were soon out of sight behind the trees.
Pink foots off to cooler climes
On to the woodland fringes and Chiffchaffs were singing away, they come down to the under storey every now and then when it's easier to get photos but the birds stayed up in the canopy this morning.
Chiffchaff
Same Chiffchaff, different tree, different light
I sat down for a while and waited to see what would come along - this isn't an easy thing for me to do as I'm a restless soul and always want to be off and walking. Lovely close views of several birds as they went about their lives.
Blue Tit
Robin
Chaffinch
Great Tit
Great Spotted Woodpeckers were drumming and calling among the general cacophony of bird song, with Stock Dove standing out as clearly as any other song. This is a brilliant time of year and exciting too as I look forward the arrival of more of the summer visitors - avian that is, not the knob heads who decide that the seaside is an appropriate destination for a day out when they should be staying in or going out locally.

Common Buzzards were soaring and Marsh Harriers were making themselves heard too as the sun warmed everything up. I was hoping for a Brimstone butterfly this morning but I was disappointed.

On my way back for breakfast part two I saw a couple of Yellowhammers in the hedgerow. I'd heard them earlier but missed seeing them. Their song is probably the first bird song I learned phonetically - a little bit of bread and no cheeeeese.
Yellowhammer, a bit too much back-light
Yellowhammer
 The few people I met on the way home were all friendly and accomodating when it came to ensuring we kept a good distance apart. I really don't know how folk go on in cities and large towns. When I meet someone we manage to pass each other on the opposite side of the road or at least go into the road to keep a safe distance between us. Traffic is light around here so it's quite safe as long as you check for cars and bikes first.

Keep well everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment