Thursday 16 April 2020

Migrant Warblers and Locals

It was dry and sunny here in Hornsea, as usual it seems recently. A cool easterly was coming in off the sea to ensure we didn't get giddy and change into shorts and tshirts.

I was hoping for Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat today as previous year's records show them arriving about now. Jon said he'd had Lesser Whitethroat a couple of days ago, which I missed, but I came across Common Whitethroat singing in them hedgerow.
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Common Whitethroat
As we can't go to the hide that overlooks Decoy where the Marsh Harriers hang out, we can't tell for sure if they are nesting or not this year. However they do drift over the fields every now and then so they can still be seen. A male was flying straight towards me this morning but it soon changed direction as it saw me when it cleared the hedgerow I was standing behind.
Male Marsh Harrier
A female came by soon afterwards but wasn't as close.
Female Marsh Harrier

My ongoing quest to get a good photo of our resident warbler, Cetti's Warbler, continued today and yet again I failed miserably. I had one sitting out on a branch for about 10 seconds, unfortunately I was 100 yards away 🙄
Cetti's Warbler from afar
Over the last few days I have seen small flocks of Linnet almost where ever I've been. On the sea front, down at Rolston, in the fields round the Mere and this morning I saw them in the allotments. Pairs are gathering nest material too and this one was doing just that.
Linnet
As I was homeward bound I heard a Greenshank call as it flew westwards. Didn't see it though as I think it was behind the trees.

Yesterday we sat in the garden and a Brimstone butterfly came through, followed by an Orange Tip. Both firsts of the year for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment