Tuesday 7 April 2020

Summer migrants arriving


This is more like it!

Sunny mornings (although we had a fair old frost this morning) and very little breeze early on so off I trot on my daily exercise. Before COVID-19 this would have been a daily walk but now it's exercise 🙄

There are very few people about at 06:15 in the morning which is wonderful for me and the wildlife. You get to see so much more before the hustle and bustle of our daily lives gets underway.

The Mere was looking beautiful this morning as it had a thin film of mist covering it, making the water seem milky in places. There wasn't a ripple on the water's surface either which is pretty rare for the Mere.
Jon had already told me that there was a Great White Egret on the north side and I could see it as I walked through first field but it was distant. Hopefully a bit better views awaited further on.

Four Roe Deer were munching away in Snipe Grounds and melted into the tall reeds as they heard me approaching.
1 of 4 Roe Deer, the others had better hearing than this one
On the edge of the wood a Great Spotted Woodpecker was looking for food and seemingly flound some too.
GSW on the look out for food
I heard a Willow Warbler singing in the wood but didn't see it, while one of many Chiffchaffs was singing and feeding away.
Chiffchaff
Chiffchaff with twig in the way. This was a theme today :(
Walking back home I heard the Green Woodpecker calling again so I looked for it and got it quite easily. The male this time, yaffling loudly. The photo has been heavily cropped as the bird was about 200 yards away.
male Green Woodpecker


There were so many birds about this morning that I'd be going on for ages if I recounted each one. Although I worry about how few birds we have left in our countryside, when you're out on a morning like this with so many species shouting for attention, it really lifts your spirit.
male Chaffinch
Skylark up and singing
Cormorant in breeding plumage
Linnet looking for a likely mate
The best was yet to come me. Although I'd heard Willow Warbler in the wood I didn't manage to see it but as I approached Heslop's I could hear one singing. It appeared right above my head and continued singing and feeding for ages. As I walked off I heard a few more further towards the Mere.
The year's first Willow Warbler
I did have better views of the Great White Egret as I'd hoped, but the photos don't really do it justice. Record shots but as it was my first of the year I'll take it.
Great White Egret on the Mere north side

No comments:

Post a Comment